I agreed to get a pet after years of being coaxed by my son. The idea of buying a pet never occurred to me. I knew I had to adopt one specially after seeing a friend’s sister who had adopted a pup. And like my son says getting a kitten has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. He’s so right. We don’t have experience of any other pet but with some insights from my son, I wanted to share why cats are simply awesome.
1) The biggest difference I have seen in the last 3 months in my house is that we are all much calmer than we used to be. Playing and cuddling with Leo releases a lot of stress. In fact, I find myself petting him more often whenever I’m anxious.
2) It’s a myth that cats don’t know how to love. I truly believe that they do, their way of expressing it is different. Leo parks himself by my side whenever he senses I’m sad.
3) Potty training – They naturally take to litter box. I just took Leo close to the litter box a couple of times and he figured how to use it from there on.
4) Hygienic – They keep themselves clean and are very particular about it. I do give a bath to Leo once a week but that’s hardly any trouble. Also, cats licking themselves and keep themselves clean is a sign of their general good health.
5) They entertain themselves – Leo is a bit of a social cat so he likes to be around people but generally keeps himself busy and entertained. A ball, paper, Kabir’s cars, a bottle cap, a pencil, just about anything is a toy for Leo.
6) Low maintenance – I don’t have to keep taking Leo to the vet except for a once a year vaccination. Cats are mostly resilient and strong. I’m talking about street cats as that’s what I adopted, I wouldn’t know about other breeds.
7) Fiercely independent – Leo respects my space just the way I respect his. He quietly hangs around (actually mostly sleeps) when I’m working.
8) I can’t even begin to tell you how much fun it is to have Leo around. We have our own little games and his curiosity amazes me each time. If you will check my Instagram stories you will know what I mean. I have been asked by so many people start a Instagram page for Leo.
9) No drama – There is simply no drama around food when it comes to Leo. Food is always welcome when hungry. Simple.
10) I can leave Leo (even though I haven’t for very long duration yet) on his own if need be. I would obviously hide all the toilet rolls before I do that.
Having said that, there are things one needs to be careful about like ensuring no breakables around and that the cat doesn’t enter the kitchen but all that is nothing compared to the joy of having a cat.