I run or bake when I’m stressed. And since I haven’t been running this month, I’m back to baking quite a bit. And Apple walnut cake is something I love in winters. It is loaded with apple chunks, raisins, walnuts and cinnamon powder. The batter is thick, easy to make and barely covers all the apple chunks which have gone into it. I love it with a cup of black coffee or tea. And yes I like to believe that it makes for an excellent snack for runners. (Sorry about the picture quality, all clicked with my basic phone).
Apples – 450 gms (net weight)
Flour – 195gm
Sugar – 150 gm (granulate it post measuring)
Butter – 85 gm (use a pinch of salt in case of non-salted butter)
Eggs – 2 (room temperature)
Baking powder – 11/2 teaspoon
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 teaspoon
Cinnamon Powder – 1 teaspoon
Raisins – 50gms
Walnuts – 75gms
Place walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes at 180 degrees C or until lightly brown and fragrant. Remove from oven and coarsely chop.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar and cinnamon powder.
- Add eggs, and melted butter to the flour mixture and whisk well (I did it with the hand blender).
- Peel the apples and cut into bite size pieces (size of 2 square lego pieces size!)
- Add the apples and dry fruits. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture in a greased pan lined with butter paper.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes (mine was done in about 50 minutes) at 180 degrees C in a 8 inch square baking pan.
The batter is really thick. You will have to use a spatula to spread it evenly. Keep all the ingredients ready before you cut the apple. You can squeeze a lime so that the apple pieces don’t get brown.
Disclaimer – This is not my recipe. I had got it from the internet 3-4 years back.