Carrot walnut cake tastes awesome by itself but it tastes divine with the cream cheese frosting. The cake is nutty, has a spicy touch to it because of the cinnamon powder and is wonderfully moist.
I’m sharing the Cream Cheese Frosting recipe here. You don’t have to worry about the smooth edges and piping the frosting as the cake looks rustic when you just spread the frosting casually. That’s my excuse to not put in the hardwork 😉 I have used a spatula to spread the frosting (the one in the picture).
Flour – 130gms
Grated carrots – 170 gms (after grating)
Sugar – 150 gms
Oil – 120ml
Walnuts – 50gms
Raisins (optional) – 25 gms
Cinnamon Powder – 3/4 tsp
Baking Powder – 3/4 tsp
Baking soad – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Place walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes at 180 degrees C or until lightly brown and fragrant. Remove from oven and coarsely chop.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder.
- In a different bowl, whisk the eggs (I use the Phillips beater) for 2 minutes, add sugar and beat for another 2-3 minutes or till mixture is light.
- Add the oil slowly in a steady stream while beating the mixture and add vanilla essence as well.
- Lightly fold the dry ingredients to this mixture.
- Add the walnuts and raisins.
- Pour the mixture in a greased pan lined with butter paper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (mine was done in about 35 minutes) at 180 degrees C in a 8 inch square or round baking pan or a loaf pan.
Note – I always add the raisins as it makes the cake more moist.
Disclaimer – This is not my recipe. I had got it from the internet 3-4 years back.