I had promised long back on Facebook that I’m going to share the Date Walnut cake recipe. I don’t know who to give credit for this recipe as I had noted it down from the internet a couple of years back. It’s one of the easiest and foolproof recipes I have ever come across.
This cake tastes better the next day when the date flavor has sunk in. It’s a dense cake as it’s eggless. But trust me a big slice of this cake with tea is perfect for a morning snack or a pre run snack. I usually have it any time of the day 🙂
Maida/Flour – 135 gms
Dates – 18-20 pieces
Milk – 185 ml (3/4th cup)
Sugar – 165 gms (grind it after weighing)
Oil – 1/2 cup
Baking Soda – 1 teaspoon
Walntus – 50 gms
Cinnamon – a pinch
Place walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes at 180 degrees C or until lightly brown and fragrant. Remove from oven and coarsely chop.
1) Soak the dates (without seeds) in warm milk for half an hour. Once it cools down, make a smooth paste in the blender.
2) Sieve the flour and baking soda together to ensure even mixing.
3) Whisk together oil, sugar and flour mixture with the date and milk mixture.
4) Add the chopped walnuts.
5) Pour the mixture in a greased pan lined with butter paper.
5) Bake for 30-40 minutes (mine was done in about 35 minutes) at 180 degrees C in a 8 inch square or round baking pan.
Note – The color of the cake would depend on the dates you used. Don’t substitute baking powder with baking soda.
You can thank me 🙂