A lot of women tell me they don’t have time for exercising, with kids, work, family etc etc taking up a lot of time. I will not disagree with that because its a fact. Modern life, without any support system, can be very busy and harried. Today, I will share some things you can do while not neglecting your daily routine. Call it multi-tasking and why not, we women are good at it, they say. Its all about time management. I don’t know if this will make sense to you but here goes:
1. Stand on one leg while brushing teeth. Take light support of wall or sink, while you’re at it. Switch legs while you are still brushing. Single leg exercises help you build functional strength, for running, walking and keeping good balance. You could try same thing while ironing too.
2. While waiting for tea or milk to boil, do push ups against kitchen counter. You can easily manage 40-50 of these. Great for pecs, aka boobs, heheh. Or…you can lightly put hands on edge of kitchen counter, lift leg sideways to waist level, without bending body. Great for inside of thighs. Or…..do donkey kicks, great for the butt.
3. While cutting veggies or kneading dough, sit on the floor in Butterfly pose, keeping back neutral. It isnt so difficult, you will get the hang of it.
4. And you don’t have to flop inertly on the couch or bed to watch TV. This is the best time to do some really good workouts while you enjoy your favorite sitcom. I do it all the time. Just position yourself so your eyes are on the screen without craning your neck at odd angles 😛 You could do bridges, squats, lunges, millions of yoga poses, Pilates. Or even free weights for arms and shoulders. Not necessarily on the floor, you could do them on the bed too.
5. Buy an exercise ball and sit on it instead of a chair, for things you need to do sitting. Like helping with kids homework, office work brought home, browsing internet etc. Sitting on a stability ball can improve stability and balance because doing so is said to constantly engage the core abdominal muscles.
6. Buy a small silicone beach volleyball. Comes at Decathlon for around 300 bucks. While at work and you’re sitting on your chair, squeeze the ball between your inner thighs and hold for as long as you can. Relax. Repeat. Great Kegel (read more about Kegels here)exercise and works your inner thighs too.
You won’t even realize it but by incorporating these moves, you might be able to squeeze in more than 30-45 minutes of working out each day! Something is better than nothing, right? If anyone has more ideas on this theme, please do share here. It might be useful to some people!
Eva Jyrwa is a super fit 52 year old woman. She’s a mother, working professional and triathlete. She also likes to read, write, has an eclectic taste in music, is fascinated by anything creative, is a foodie and likes to cook too, travels like a vagabond and likes to walk the unbeaten tracks.
You can also join her FB Group Go Girl !!! where we discuss anything under the sun (as long as it’s productive mostly)