In my last article I busted some common myths about CrossFit. And even though I’m not running much these days, at times, after an hour of CrossFit workout, I feel running 21k is far easier. Probably I didn’t realise the intensity of workout in the initial few days and found myself cramping. But it wasn’t that complicated to figure, it’s almost as if cramps in my body is how I realise that winter is here and I have yet again forgotten to properly hydrate for my workouts. And every year it takes me a while to realise that the reason is hydration. But, I am sure, like me, you would also tend to overlook this little annual problem.
Although, this year, I think I’m better prepared. The trick is to recognise that water isn’t the only source for hydration and to build your routine in a manner that there are minerals and electrolytes going into your body through the day. Here are a few things that came to mind when I was thinking of ways around this:
1) Include vegetables with high water content in my diet like broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini, lettuce and tomatoes. Thankfully these cost lesser in winters.
2) If the workout is intense and lasts longer than 45mins – 60 mins, then water might not be enough. Hydrate with an energy drink like Enerzal which will replace the lost electrolytes during or post workout. Trust me, you will definitely feel the difference.
3) Tough one there but I go easy on alcohol and coffee (okay, at least I try to). Both feel good temporarily but dehydrate. Mild black tea it is for me through the day.
4) Always always keep a bottle handy. I tend to get really lazy as I work from home so it helps to have a water bottle close to me specially the one which has measurements. Also, carry it when on the go. (like the one in the pic below).
5) Squeeze in a little lemon in your water to get some vitamin C.
5) Have lots of soup specially chicken clear soup. It also keeps the cold away.
In addition, I end up doing oil mouthwash (read here) twice a day to keep my skin from getting dry. I never face the problem of chapped lips and dry skin this way.
Stay hydrated. Stay active.